Medical administrative assistants primarily work in doctor’s offices, clinics, outpatient settings, hospitals, and other healthcare settings. Medical administrative assistants, medical secretaries, and medical records clerks are all positions in great demand. The growth and the complexity of the U.S. healthcare system have resulted in a substantial increase in the need for qualified medical administrative assistants. Employment of a medical assistant is expected to grow an impressive 34% by 2018. Medical billing and coding deals with the financial and patient communication among medical practices. They are responsible for patient files and notes. People working in this career may also process payments, including send out bills and dealing with insurance claims. This Medical Coding and Billing course will provide you with the skills you need to perform the required tasks in this career field.
• History and background of the medical assisting profession
• Interpersonal skills, medical ethics, and basic medical law
• Telephone techniques and skills for scheduling appointments
• Medical terminology
• Basics of insurance billing and coding
• Medical records management and management of practice finances
• The organization and use of the ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS manuals to identify correct codes
• Detailed review and practice using the alphabetic index and tabular list of the ICD-10-CM
• Detailed review and practice coding examples from the CPT
• Basic claims processes for insurance and 3rd-party reimbursements
• Completing common insurance forms, tracing delinquent claims, and appealing denied claims
Professionals seeking training and certification as a Medical Administrative Assistant and/or Medical Billing and Coding Specialist.
Students who complete this program will be prepared to sit for the the National Healthcareer Association's (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) exams. This program includes vouchers for both certification exams.
Note: After completing this program students will be prepared to sit for any of the billing and coding certification exam. **Some certification exams have additional requirements**
We provide students with skilled instructors. Teachers who are well trained in our unique “mastery” methodology and provide one-on-one instruction to their students to ensure mastery of the course material. Many of our teachers have worked with us for over 10 years.
Students will recieve these textbooks with their program:
• Kinn’s The Administrative Medical Assistant, 7e
• Kinn’s The Administrative Medical Assistant Student Workbook, 7e